Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust! Rust is a systems language pursuing the trifecta: safety, concurrency, and speed. This is a weekly summary of its progress and community. Want something mentioned? Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust or send us a pull request. Want to get involved? We love contributions.
Updates from Rust Community
News & Blog Posts
- A new look for rust-lang.org.
- Rust Quiz: 26 medium to hard Rust questions with complete explanations.
- Announcing RustaCUDA.
- Official Rust runtime for AWS Lambda.
- Creating my first AWS Lambda using Rust.
- How I wrote a modern C++ library in Rust.
- Using Passenger with Rust.
- wasm-bindgen — how does it work?
- Rust web survey 2018.
- This Week in Rust and WebAssembly 9.
Crate of the Week
Call for Participation
Always wanted to contribute to open-source projects but didn't know where to start? Every week we highlight some tasks from the Rust community for you to pick and get started!
Some of these tasks may also have mentors available, visit the task page for more information.
If you are a Rust project owner and are looking for contributors, please submit tasks here.
Updates from Rust Core
254 pull requests were merged in the last week
- decouple proc_macro from the rest of the compiler
- implement chalk unification routines
- upgrade LLVM to trunk, still version 8
- another LLVM Update and Re-enable lldb
- use sort_by_cached_key when the key function is not trivial/free
- deduplicate literal → constant lowering
mem::uninitializedfor Windows Mutex
- libcore: add VaList and variadic arg handling intrinsics
- arena: speed up TypedArena::clear and improve common patterns
- remove unsafe
TryFrom<&[T]> for [T; $N] where T: Copy
- move VecDeque::resize_with out of the impl
- use allow-dirty option in
cargo packageto skip vcs checks
- use MaybeUninit in libcore
- fix futures creating aliasing mutable and shared ref
- add libstd Cargo feature
- cargo: ConflictStoreTrie: faster filtered search
- crates.io: email verification warning
Changes to Rust follow the Rust RFC (request for comments) process. These are the RFCs that were approved for implementation this week:
Final Comment Period
Every week the team announces the 'final comment period' for RFCs and key PRs which are reaching a decision. Express your opinions now.
No RFCs are currently in final comment period.
- [disposition: merge] Stabilize memory-releated
- [disposition: merge] Tracking issue for RFC 2300, "
Selfin type definitions".
- [disposition: merge] Tracking issue for str::split_ascii_whitespace.
- [disposition: merge] Tracking issue for Vec::resize_with and resize_default.
- [disposition: close] Tracking issue for feature
- Dec 12. Rust Community Team Meeting in Discord.
- Dec 17. Rust Community Content Subteam Meeting on Discord.
- Dec 19. Rust Events Team Meeting on Telegram.
- Dec 6. Pune, IN - Rust workshop at Pune, India.
- Dec 12. Hangzhou, CN - Rust Hangzhou.
- Dec 16. Sydney, AU - Rust Sydney Meetup 15.
- Dec 10. Vienna, AT - Metalab - Rust Workshop.
- Dec 11. Zurich, CH - Rust Zurich - Rust Embedded Edition 2018.
- Dec 12. Berlin, DE - Berlin Rust Hack and Learn.
- Dec 12. Milano, IT - Milano - Hello Open Closed Principle.
- Dec 15 & 16. Moscow, RU - RustRush 2018.
- Dec 20. Cambridge, GB - The Last Cambridge Rust?
- Dec 20. Turin, IT - Gruppo di studio Rust.
- Dec 6. Phoenix, US - Phoenix 2018 Edition Release Party.
- Dec 9. Mountain View, US - Rust Dev in Mountain View!.
- Dec 10. Seattle, US - Seattle Rust Meetup.
- Dec 12. Vancouver, CA - Vancouver Rust meetup.
- Dec 12. Boulder, US - Rust Boulder/Denver Monthly Meeting.
- Dec 13. Arlington, US - Rust DC — Mid-month Rustful.
- Dec 13. Columbus, US - Columbus Rust Society - Monthly Meeting.
- Dec 13. Utah, US - Utah Rust monthly meetup.
- Dec 13. San Diego, US - San Diego Rust December Meetup - Rust 2018 Overview + Memory Allocator.
- Dec 16. Mountain View, US - Rust Dev in Mountain View!.
- Dec 20. Chicago, US - Rust for the Holidays.
- Software Infrastructure Engineer - Engines at Blue Origin, Kent, US.
- Rust Engineer at Commure, Inc. (San Francisco, Boston, Montreal).
- Intermediate Software Developer at Finhaven, Vancouver, CA.
- Tech Lead at Hashintel, London, GB.
- Embedded operating system developer, Karlsruhe, DE
- Student research assistant (embedded), Karlsruhe, DE
Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust to get your job offers listed here!
Quote of the Week
The bug I did not have
– /u/pacman82's reddit post title
Thanks to Felix for the suggestion!