Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust! Rust is a systems language pursuing the trifecta: safety, concurrency, and speed. This is a weekly summary of its progress and community. Want something mentioned? Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust or send us an email! Want to get involved? We love contributions.
Updates from Rust Community
News & Blog Posts
- This week in Servo 45.
- What is happening in Piston 2.
- Async IO in Rust (part III).
- Writing an OS in Rust: Remap the Kernel. Part of the series Writing an OS in Rust.
- Aha! Understanding lifetimes in Rust.
- Distributed rendering with Rust and Mio.
- Racer progress update. Changes and notes around Racer 1.1.0 release.
Notable New Crates & Project Updates
- rusty-machine. Machine Learning library for Rust.
- Shiplift. Rust interface for maneuvering docker containers.
- Hyperlocal. Hyper bindings for local unix domain sockets.
Updates from Rust Core
63 pull requests were merged in the last week.
- Aaron Keen
- Chris Buchholz
- Christoffer Buchholz
- Daniel Collin
- Denis Kolodin
- James Mantooth
- Luke Jones
Changes to Rust follow the Rust RFC (request for comments) process. These are the RFCs that were approved for implementation this week:
No RFCs were approved this week!
Final Comment Period
- Improve Cargo target-specific dependencies.
- Add a
IndexAssigntrait that allows overloading "indexed assignment" expressions like
a[b] = c.
- Allow eliding more type parameters.
- Add an
- Add a replace_slice method to Vec
and String while removes a range of elements, and replaces it in place with a given sequence of values.
- Implement a method,
RangeTo, checking if a number is in the range.
- Add a byte escape
\eas shorthand for 0x1B (ESC), similar to GCC's
- Allow Drop types in statics/const functions.
- 1/11. Seattle Rust Meetup.
- 1/12. Eat, Drink, Rust! San Diego Downtown Rust Meetup.
- 1/13. Copenhagen hackathon.
- 1/13. OpenTechSchool Berlin: Rust Hack and Learn.
- 1/13. Los Angeles Monthly Meetup - Happy New Year Hack Night.
- 1/14. Columbus Rust Society.
- 1/15. Rhein-Main Rust Meetup.
- 1/18. Rust Paris.
fn work(on: RustProject) -> Money
- Technical Lead/Manager at EBI Portfolios.
- Research Engineer - Servo at Mozilla.
- Senior Research Engineer - Rust at Mozilla.
- Multiple positions at IronNet Cybersecurity.
Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust to get your job offers listed here!
Crate of the Week
This week's Crate of the Week is rustfmt, because it's nice to Rust with style.
Quote of the Week
I think the "standard library" is really (forgive me) a brand.
Thanks to llogiq for the belated suggestion.