Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust! Rust is a systems language pursuing the trifecta: safety, concurrency, and speed. This is a weekly summary of its progress and community. Want something mentioned? Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust or send us a pull request. Want to get involved? We love contributions.
Updates from Rust Community
News & Blog Posts
- 🎈🎉 Announcing Rust 1.29.1. 🎉🎈
- Citybound: Introducing live builds.
- The biggest wasm-pack release yet.
- Office hours with Niko Matsakis: Debugging with GDB.
- Office hours with Niko Matsakis: Cyclic services.
- Rust on iOS: How to.
- A Rust FFI adventure in unsafety.
- How to integrate Rust with C#.
- Rewriting a bash script in Rust.
- Creating a robot for Eurobot in Rust: The context.
- Incinerator: The ABA problem and concurrent reclamation.
Crate of the Week
Call for Participation
Always wanted to contribute to open-source projects but didn't know where to start? Every week we highlight some tasks from the Rust community for you to pick and get started!
Some of these tasks may also have mentors available, visit the task page for more information.
- Rust 2018 RC1 is available - please help test.
- Rust office hours with Niko Matsakis.
- rust: Panic in
If you are a Rust project owner and are looking for contributors, please submit tasks here.
Updates from Rust Core
154 pull requests were merged in the last week
- switch linker for
aarch64-pc-windows-msvcfrom LLD to MSVC
- remove (more) CAS API from Atomic* types where not natively supported
- parser: tweak function parameter parsing to avoid rollback on succesfull path
- improve handling of type bounds in
Livenessdata some more
- NLL: deduplicate errors for incorrect move in loop
- NLL: rework checking for borrows conflicting with drops
- report when borrow could cause
&mutaliasing during Drop
std::os::raw::c_voidinto libcore and re-export in libstd and Re-export
core::ffi::c_voidif it exists (RFC #2521)
rustc::middle::region::Scope's fields public
- miri: correctly compute expected alignment for field
- extend MIR inlining to all operand variants
- std: check for overflow in
- switch wasm math symbols to their original names
- update to a new pinning API
Durationdiv mul extras
- cargo: fix missing messages when --message-format=json is deeply nested
- cargo: fix incomplete conflict set backjump
Changes to Rust follow the Rust RFC (request for comments) process. These are the RFCs that were approved for implementation this week:
- RFC 2438: Deny the
overflowing_literalslint for the 2018 edition.
- RFC 2383: Lint Reasons.
- RFC 2437: Rustfmt stability.
Final Comment Period
Every week the team announces the 'final comment period' for RFCs and key PRs which are reaching a decision. Express your opinions now.
- [disposition: merge] The optimize attribute.
- [disposition: merge] Or patterns, i.e
Foo(Bar(x) | Baz(x)).
- [disposition: merge]
#[cfg_attr]expanding to multiple attributes.
- [disposition: merge] Impl
- [disposition: merge] Tracking issue for eRFC 2497, "if- and while-let-chains, take 2", edition changes.
- [disposition: merge] Tracking issue for RFC 2296,
- [disposition: close] Tracking issue for channel selection.
- Oct 3. Rust Community Team Meeting in Discord.
- Oct 9. Rust Community Content Subteam Meeting in Discord.
- Oct 10. Rust Events Team Meeting in Telegram.
- Sep 30. Bangalore, IN - Diesel - A safe, extensible ORM and Query Builder.
- Oct 3. Kuala Lumpur, MY - Rust Lang Meetup - Project X.
- Oct 1. Barcelona, ES - BcnRust Meetup.
- Oct 3. Vilnius, LT - Vilnius Rust Meetup #3 - Network Simulation and WebAssembly.
- Oct 3. Berlin, DE - Berlin Rust Hack and Learn.
- Sep 30. Mountain View, US - Rust Dev in Mountain View!.
- Oct 3. Indianapolis, US - Indy.rs.
- Oct 3. Atlanta, US - Grab a beer with fellow Rustaceans.
- Oct 3. Vancouver, CA - Vancouver Rust meetup.
- Oct 7. Mountain View, US - Rust Dev in Mountain View!.
- Oct 8. Seattle, US - Seattle Rust Meetup.
- Oc 11. Columbus, US - Columbus Rust Society - Monthly Meeting.
- Oct 19 & 20. Ann Arbor, US - Rust Belt Rust 2018.
- Rust Software Engineer at VMRay, Bochum, DE.
- Rust Developer at Parity, Berlin, DE.
- RustBelt is looking for postdocs and PhD students.
Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust to get your job offers listed here!
Quote of the Week
Rust beginners worrying about lifetimes is like kids worrying about quicksand. Both turn out to be a non-issue in life.
Thanks to pyfisch for the suggestion!