Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust! Rust is a systems language pursuing the trifecta: safety, concurrency, and speed. This is a weekly summary of its progress and community. Want something mentioned? Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust or send us an email! Want to get involved? We love contributions.
From the Blogosphere
- Rust-101. A hands-on Rust tutorial.
- The glium library. Challenges in exposing a safe API over an unsafe C library.
- Building an iOS App in Rust, Part 2: Passing Primitive Data Between Rust and iOS. Read Part 1 here.
- Mozilla’s Servo Lets Rust Shine.
- Three months of Rust.
- Configuring Emacs for Rust.
- Dissecting Crates.io: Bare Minimum Mirror.
- Using Docker to Test Rust on Linux.
- Community Versions for Rust.
- Virtual Structs Part 3: Bringing Enums and Structs Together.
- Parser Combinator Experiments in Rust.
- Closures as Anti-Lifetime-Gluteal-Bite-Device.
New Releases & Project Updates
- Rust by Example now tracks stable Rust, uses container-based Travis infrastructure, and is tested against all three channels.
- A comparison of web frameworks written in Rust.
- octavo. Highly modular & configurable hash & crypto library written in pure Rust.
- Ammonia. A whitelist-based HTML sanitization library.
- mm. General purpose math and multimedia libraries.
- etcd. A Rust client library for etcd.
- proc. A Rust library for accessing Linux process and system information.
- scoped-threadpool-rs. A library for scoped and cached threadpools.
- imgui-rs. Rust bindings for ImGui.
What's cooking on nightly?
86 pull requests were merged in the last week.
- Marc-Antoine Perennou
- Martin Wernstål
Changes to Rust follow the Rust RFC (request for comments) process. These are the RFCs that were approved for implementation this week:
Final Comment Period
- Policy for rust-lang crates.
- Turn statically known erroneous code into a warning and continue normal code-generation.
- Define a "line" as terminated by either
- Pretty print
Debugof tuples, tuple structs and enum variants in a single line.
- Add item recovery collection APIs.
- Allow a
x...yexpression to create an inclusive range.
- Implement raw fat pointer comparisons.
- Add the family of
[Op]Assigntraits to allow overloading assignment operations like
a += b.
- Missing edge-case when destructuring.
- Splitting variants of
- Add a lint to warn about negative literal / method call precedence.
fn work(on: RustProject) -> Money
No jobs listed for this week. Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust to get your job offers listed here!