Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust! Rust is a systems language pursuing the trifecta: safety, concurrency, and speed. This is a weekly summary of its progress and community. Want something mentioned? Send me an email! Want to get involved? We love contributions.
What's cooking on master?
Now you can follow breaking changes as they happen!
- std: Add Default/IntoIterator/ToOwned to the prelude
- Enforce the comma after lifetime arguments and before type arguments
- Remove more deprecated functionality
- Make stability attributes an error
std::fs::soft_linkin favor of platform-specific versions
- Introduce a
FreeRegionMapto store relations between free regions
- implement rfc 1054: split_whitespace() fn, deprecate words()
- implement set_tcp_keepalive for linux
- Call skolemize_late_bound_regions only after fast rejection. Faster type checking.
- Andrzej Janik
- Geoffry Song
- Heejong Ahn
- John Van Enk
- Krzysztof Drewniak
- Lee Aronson
- Michael Rosenberg
- Przemysław Wesołek
- Young Wu
The current beta is
1.0.0-beta.3 (5241bf9c3 2015-04-25).
There were 2 PRs this week landing backports to beta.
- Rust once, run everywhere.
- Pre-Pitting Your Peaches With Rust
- Weekly meetings 2015-04-21. Servo licensing, iter overflow, float formatting, branching.
- Core team meeting 2015-04-22. The core team is summarizing their weekly meeting.
- Let's build a web service and client in Rust
- Regression report beta-2015-04-03 vs. beta-2015-04-24.
- It will soon be possibly to link Rust against MUSL instead of glibc on Linux in order to make completely self-contained binaries.
- hlua's stack handling
- Release channels, bit branching, and the release process.
- Cohort analysis of Rust contributors
- Pros and cons: Rust vs. C++
- Interactive 2D applications with Carboxyl and Elmesque
- Servo: building a high-performance, safe web browser.
- A map of Rust contributors. Thanks jakub-!
- Reminder: the trains are running
- My failed attempt to build a digital audio workstation in Rust
- Cross-compiling Rust for Raspberry Pi
- term-painter. Library for coloring and formatting terminal output, from Lukas Kalbertodt.
- elmesque. A graphics library based on Elm's.
- kvark posted a new screenshot of his game, Claymore.
- tomaka released a terminal backend for Glutin, based on libcaca.
- ivanceras posted a new screenshot of his voxel renderer, balisong.
- rust-dispatch. Bindings to Grand Central Dispatch
- rustc noodling for code completion. An update on code completion in Racer.
- This Week in Servo 31
- RustDT IDE 0.2.0 released
- itertools 0.3.0 released
Quote of the Week
< Ms2ger> And note, unsafe code isn't for violating Rust's invariants, it's for maintaining them manually
Ms2ger in #rust.
Thanks to bluss for the tip. Submit your quotes for next week!.