Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust! Rust is a systems language pursuing the trifecta: safety, concurrency, and speed. This is a weekly summary of its progress and community. Want something mentioned? Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust or send us an email! Want to get involved? We love contributions.
Updates from Rust Community
News & Blog Posts
- Redox is serious. Redox is an upcoming OS written in Rust.
- Index 1,600,000,000 keys with Automata and Rust.
- Writing an OS in Rust: Allocating frames.
- Making Popcorn: Adding a disk to a Rust Rumprun Unikernel.
- Rust in detail: Sending and receiving messages.
- Rust impressions from a C++/D programmer, part 1.
- Rust impressions from a C++/D programmer, part 2.
- Bare metal Rust 2: Retarget your compiler so interrupts are not evil.
- This week in Servo 41.
Notable New Crates & Projects
- rustfmt is now part of Rust Nursery.
- Leaf. Open Machine Intelligence Framework.
- lrs. An experimental, linux-only standard library.
Updates from Rust Core
95 pull requests were merged in the last week.
- Add a MIR pass to simplify the control flow graph.
- BinaryHeap: Simplify sift down.
- Allow none Sized types in assert_eq!.
mutfor mutability errors.
- Cargo: Add a rustdoc subcommand.
- Syntax: Merge parsing code for structures and variants.
- Report errors at macro definition, not expansion.
- Danilo Bargen
- Eric Findlay
- Erik Davidson
- Kohei Hasegawa
- Sebastian Hahn
Changes to Rust follow the Rust RFC (request for comments) process. These are the RFCs that were approved for implementation this week:
No RFCs were approved this week!
Final Comment Period
- Document and expand the open options.
- Allow overlapping implementations for marker traits.
- Improvements to the Time APIs.
- Define the general semantics of intrinsic functions.
- Add an
#[repr(align = "N")].
- Improve Cargo target-specific dependencies.
- Transparently use verbatim paths on Windows.
- 11/17. Rust Hack and Learn Hamburg.
- 11/18. Rust Los Angeles Monthly Meetup.
- 11/19. Wellington Rust Meetup.
- 11/25. Columbus Rust Society.
- 11/25. RustBerlin Hack and Learn.
fn work(on: RustProject) -> Money
- Research Engineer - Servo at Mozilla.
- Senior Research Engineer - Rust at Mozilla. Join the core Rust team!
- Open Source Software Engineer at MaidSafe.
- Systems Engineer at IronNet Cybersecurity.
Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust to get your job offers listed here!
Crate of the Week
This week's Crate of the Week is Hyper which offers a Rust HTTP(S) implementation for both clients and servers.