Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust! Rust is a systems language pursuing the trifecta: safety, concurrency, and speed. This is a weekly summary of its progress and community. Want something mentioned? Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust or send us an email! Want to get involved? We love contributions.
Updates from Rust Community
News & Blog Posts
- Announcing Rust 1.4.
- This week in Servo 39.
- This week in Redox 4.
- Rreverrse debugging. Debugging Rust applications with rr.
- Piston-Meta. A DSL parsing library for human readable text documents.
- Let's uncomplicate!. Demistifying the
- Using Resque with Rust.
- Rust lifetimes.
Notable New Crates & Projects
- A Rust/Piston game developing tutorial.
- Rust Doom. A Doom Renderer written in Rust.
- httparse. A push parser for the HTTP 1.x protocol in Rust.
- lettre. A mailer library for Rust.
- Pebble.rs. Develop Pebble smartwatch applications in Rust.
Updates from Rust Core
94 pull requests were merged in the last week.
See the subteam report for 2015-10-31 for details.
- Port the standard crates to PNaCl/NaCl.
- Fix excessive memory allocation in
- Implement conversion traits for primitive float types.
- Generalise associative operator parsing.
- Do not allow a module and tuple struct of the same name to coexist.
- Allow constant evaluation of function calls.
- Remove dependency on libgcc-dw2-1.dll from win32 executables.
- Remove contraction from region inference.
- Cameron Sun
- Charlotte Spencer
- Corentin Henry
- Daniel Rollins
- Igor Shuvalov
- Ivan Ivaschenko
- Marcell Pardavi
- Ricardo Signes
Changes to Rust follow the Rust RFC (request for comments) process. These are the RFCs that were approved for implementation this week:
- RFC 1291: Promote the
libccrate from the nursery.
- RFC 1307: Add some additional utility methods to
Final Comment Period
- Allow overlapping implementations for marker traits.
- Enable the compiler to cache incremental workproducts.
- Improvements to the Time APIs.
- 11/3. São Paulo Meetup.
- 11/3. Rust Hack and Learn Hamburg.
- 11/4. PDXRust.
- 11/9. Seattle Rust Meetup.
- 11/10. San Diego Rust Meetup #10.
- 11/11. RustBerlin Hack and Learn.
- 11/16. Rust Paris.
fn work(on: RustProject) -> Money
No jobs listed for this week. Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust to get your job offers listed here!
Crate & Quote of the Week
alias allows mutably aliasing values – which seems to actually be safe, somewhat surprisingly. Honestly, I'm a bit shocked about it myself.