Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust! Rust is a systems language pursuing the trifecta: safety, concurrency, and speed. This is a weekly summary of its progress and community. Want something mentioned? Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust or send us an email! Want to get involved? We love contributions.
Updates from Rust Community
News & Blog Posts
- Safety = Freedom.
- This week in Redox 1. Redox is an upcoming OS written in Rust.
- This week in Servo 36.
- Conference report: Friendly, diverse Rust Camp.
- Neither necessary nor sufficient - why Rust shipped without GC.
- Rustfmt-ing Rust.
- Virtual structs part 4: Extended enums and thin traits.
- Macros. Plans on an overhaul of the syntax extension and macro systems in Rust.
- Lints that collect data per crate.
- Stuff the identity function does (in Rust).
- Rust in detail: Writing scalable chat service from scratch.
- Formalizing Rust.
Notable New Crates & Projects
- Plumbum. Conduit-like data processing library for Rust.
- rust-keepass. Crate to use KeePass databases in Rust.
- Rusoto. AWS client libraries for Rust.
- fired. Fast init system for Redox OS.
- Rust Release Explorer.
- cargo-edit. A utility for adding cargo dependencies from the command line.
- Rust MetroHash. Rust implementation of MetroHash - a high quality, high performance hash algorithm.
- rose_tree. An implementation of the rose tree data structure for Rust.
- daggy. A directed acyclic graph data structure for Rust.
- hdfs-rs. libhdfs binding and wrapper APIs for Rust.
- cargo.el. Emacs minor mode for Cargo.
Updates from Rust Core
102 pull requests were merged in the last week.
- Turn on MIR construction unconditionally.
- Make function pointers implement traits for up to 12 parameters.
- Shrink metadata size. libcore.rlib reduced from 19121 kiB to 15934 kiB - 20% win.
- Implement RFC 1238: nonparametric dropck.
- Integer parsing should accept leading plus.
- rustc: Don't lint about isize/usize in FFI.
- rustc: Improve the dep-info experience.
- Cargo: Fix
make docon Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan.
- Book: Add documentation on custom allocators.
- Book: New "Syntax Index" chapter.
- rust.vim: Add rudimentary support for the playpen.
- sublime-rust: Major changes. (PR has a list of all changes).
- Carlos Liam
- Chris C Cerami
- Craig Hills
- Cristi Cobzarenco
- Daniel Carral
- Daniel Keep
- Joseph Caudle
- J. Ryan Stinnett
- Kyle Robinson Young
- Yoshito Komatsu
Changes to Rust follow the Rust RFC (request for comments) process. These are the RFCs that were approved for implementation this week:
- 1228: Place left arrow syntax (
place <- expr).
- 1260: Allow a re-export for
- Amend #911 const-fn to allow unsafe const functions.
Final Comment Period
- Allow overlapping implementations for marker traits.
- Ordered ranges 2.0. Replace
- Stabilize OS string to bytes conversions.
.drain()respectively as appropriate on collections..
- 10/13. San Diego Rust Meetup #9.
- 10/14. RustBerlin Hack and Learn.
- 10/19. Rust Paris.
- 10/20. Rust Hack and Learn Hamburg.
fn work(on: RustProject) -> Money
No jobs listed for this week. Tweet us at @ThisWeekInRust to get your job offers listed here!
Crate of the Week
Conrod forgoes the traditional "wrap the default GUI for each operating system/desktop environment" approach and uses OpenGL to present a simple, but color- as well as powerful GUI in its own style. There are a good number of widgets implemented already, and writing GUI code with conrod is a breeze thanks to the very streamlined interface.
Quote of the Week
War is Unsafe
Freedom is Safety
Ignorance is Type-checked
(The new trifecta for rust-lang.org)