Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust! Rust is a systems language pursuing the trifecta: safety, concurrency, and speed. This is a weekly summary of its progress and community. Want something mentioned? Send me an email! Want to get involved? We love contributions.
What's cooking on master?
Now you can follow breaking changes as they happen!
- Fixed-size byte string literals. RFC.
- allow inherent implementations on primitives, remove some extension traits.
- Deprecate range, range_step, count, distributions.
- Remove old_io and old_path from the prelude.
- Require braces when a closure has an explicit return type.
- Johannes Oertel
- Paul ADENOT
- Sae-bom Kim
- Tero Hänninen
- RFC 529: Generic conversion traits.
- RFC 803: Type ascription.
- RFC 909: Move
- RFC 921: Entry API v3.
- RFC 940: Disallow hyphens in crate names.
- RFC 968: Tweak closure return type syntax.
- Add std::env::concurrency_hint.
- Make type ascription expressions lvalues.
- Function pointers reform.
- Allow unstable features in 1.0.
- Would Rust have prevented Heartbleed? Another look. Bascule comes to Rust's defense! /r/rust. HN.
- Rust infrastructure can be your infrastructure.
- Weekly-meetings/2015-03-17. Checked overflow and casts; hyphens in crate names.
- Rust programming language presentation at Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea.
- What is Rust bad at?
- Roguelike game architecture in Rust, parts 1, 2, 3.
- Using Rust from the Unreal engine.
- gfx_scene. High-level rendering for gfx-rs.
- glium project update, march edition.
- html5ever project update: one year!.
- capnproto-rust: error handling revisited. David Renshaw has recently modernized Cap'n'Proto's error handling.
- google-apis-rs has been relased with bindings for many Google APIs.
- rust-backtrace. Klutzy is implementing backtracing in Rust.
- Playform gets voxel terrain and even better voxel terrain.
Quote of the Week
<mbrubeck> the 5 stages of loss and rust
<mbrubeck> 1. type check. 2. borrow check. 3. anger. 4. acceptance. 5. rust upgrade
Thanks to jdm for the tip. Submit your quotes for next week!.