Welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust, a weekly summary of Rust's progress and happenings in the community.
What's cooking in master?
48 PRs were merged this week.
- Slices are now represented as number of elements, not number of bytes.
fmt!has been completely removed.
- Some fields in
std::commhave been made private.
std::sys::refcounthas been moved to
- A bunch of
have moved from
once fnis now a feature gate rather than a
Pathhas been completely rewritten.
extra::flatpipeshas been removed.
jemallochas been removed from the runtime. The associated issue is quite scary.
rustdocstruct field visibility is now corrected (it stripped fields where it should not have).
rustdocalso uses the actual privacy rules to strip methods.
format!now gives much better error messages for invalid format strings.
fmt::Defaulttrait, used for default formatting with
format!, is now documented.
include_bin!has been optimized, and the
k-nucleotidesbenchmark now compiles 187x faster.
- Vectors now have
ends_withmethods, which take slices.
abortintrinsic has been added.
- Vectors now have a
A new section for new contributors! The new contributors this week are (as reported by git):
- Chris Sainty
- Eduard Burtescu
- Erik Lyon
- Harry Marr
- Sébastien Chauvel
- Vijay Korapaty
- Ziad Hatahet
The weekly meeting discussed removing rusti, changing the attribute syntax, destructors in statics, and more multi-crate packages with rustpkg.
- Rust (and Servo) are participating in the GNOME Outreach Program for Women. A bunch of people have already come into IRC about it.
- http://exercism.io is getting full Rust support. This is a very cool resource, and could help a lot getting newcomers acclimated.
- Unified Function/method Call Syntax and further simplification.
- Safe Memory Management in Cyclone.
- Audio from Tim's talk in June is finally available!
community has sprung up! The channel is
- Should I/O use conditions?.
- Pointers in Rust: A Guide.
- I am on a Rust hiatus, for the time being. TWiR will still be happening, as you are reading it right now.
- rust-core - A stub standard library.